During any given Toronto Raptors game, there’s a good chance you’ll catch Patrick Patterson doing some peculiar stretching exercises on the sideline. That’s Joga — a new hybrid form of yoga specifically designed for jocks. For over a decade, Jana Webb, Joga’s Toronto-based creator, has kept busy training some of the top athletes in professional sports. Along with Patterson, Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays, Michael Del Zotto of the Philadelphia Flyers, and Patrick Patterson of the Toronto Raptors are just a few of those who have worked with her.
Read the full article here.
Want to train like 2Pats? Try this Joga technique.
Chest / Belly Breathing
1. Lie on your back and bring the soles of your feet on the floor with your knees bent.
2. Place your right hand on your lower belly, your left hand on chest.
3. Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth. Soften your jaw and relax.
Isolate Belly and Chest Breathing
4. Inhale: into your belly for a count of 3.
5. Exhale: Empty out completely for a count of 3.
Repeat 3 times.
6. Inhale: breathe into your chest for a count of 3. Hold.
7. Exhale: empty out completely for a count of 3. Hold.
Repeat 3 times.
Combine Both Breaths
8. Inhale: into your belly (count of 3)>Hold.
9. Inhale into your chest (count of 3)>Hold.
Hold for a count of 3.
10. Exhale out as one unit for a count of 5.
Repeat 2 times.
The benefits of this technique?
– Balances left and right brain
– Improves focus and balance
– Separates upper and lower body neurologically to prepare body for muscular movement to follow suit